PageRank is Google algorithm, that assigns a numerical weighting to each element of a hyperlinked set of documents, such as the World Wide Web, with the purpose of “measuring” its relative importance within the set.
It is a complicated algorithm, no doubt, more explanations about it are well documented on this wiki-page.
The thing that we want to debate here is not the algorithm itself, we know lots about it and still don’t know enough or if this PR matters too much for your SERP (Search Engine Result Page) Rank.
Due to PR inconsistent release schedule and to its very narrow scale 0-10, it is widely believed that Google PR doesn’t count too much for your ranking.
Though, in SEO world everybody checks the PR, at least as the first glimpse about a webpage, and as you know a ZERO Page Rank doesn’t look good.
Roughly, a new Google PR is released each ~3months. They don’t have a precise date for the release….and sometimes Google just don’t DO IT for a longer while.
A history of Google Page Rank updates (as we know it) is shown below:
- NEW: PR UPDATE 7 AUG 2011
- NEW: PR UPDATE 27 JUNE 2011
- Network Wide Toolbar Pagerank Update – JANUARY 2011
- Network Wide Toolbar Pagerank Update April 2010
- Network Wide - Dec 31, 2009
- Network Wide – 30 October 2009
- Network Wide 27/28 May 2009 – Google PR Update
- Network Wide 1 / 2 April 2009 – Google Pagerank Update 2009
- Network Wide 30-31 December 2008
- Network Wide 27 September 2008
- Network Wide 26 July 2008
- Network Wide 29 April 2008
- Network Wide 9,10,11,12 January 2008
- Network Wide 26 October 2007
- Network Wide 28 April 2007
As you can see, last year, Google didn’t bother too much to update its PR (to be read – didn’t bother to let us know about PR changes) and they release only ONE update.
This situation created a lot of tension in SEO world and it’s about to be repeated this year?
Nobody really knows, besides Google.
What we know is, that last Google Page Rank Update has been seen on ~19Jan 2011 and since then we have had only speculations about a new release.
It is expected soon a new release, especially by people who want to be ranked for the first time…
Subscribe here to get updates about Google Page Rank change. We will post daily updates about news related with the Google PR change.